Wednesday, February 17, 2010

No Mo' Pizza

 

Big and I have been eating a lot of pizza lately. I won't quantify the quantity or cost. It's way too embarrassing. 

So it was decided. No pizza for Lent, which begins on Ash Wednesday, today. Domino's (we use and love the pizza tracker), Sarpino's and Fogo 2 Go are really going to miss us.

Why do Catholics do this? In Lent, it's traditional to give up something(s) that we do a lot of and that we find pleasure in. This giving up or fasting is done for thrice reasons:
  1. A discipline for learning self-control, to free our minds from the chase after material things
  2. To identify with Christ's sufferings
  3. Serve as an act of sorrow for our wrongdoings

Sometimes we don't notice how certain things we do have gained power over us and dictate our actions; through Lent fasts, we discover these things and give them up so that God can be in charge. (Source: Spirit Home). I usually fair miserably at my Lenten offering, but I'm hopeful this year. My faith is stronger than it has been for awhile, and I feel a renewed commitment to make this sacrifice for the Lord. Furthermore, I'm not alone on my quest. 

What are you giving up for Lent?

No comments:

Post a Comment