Monday, May 25, 2009

Adventures at Sports Authority

When I asked my mom what she thought about me running the Chicago Marathon, the first think she said was, "I think you need a new pair of running shoes."

I'm not sure when the last time I bought new running shoes was, but I know was I living in my old apartment at the time. Athletic shoes are expensive, and I'd rather spend my hard-earned money on a pair of party shoes.

Knowing I couldn't put off the inevitable much longer -- and that'd get an earful if I wore new running shoes during my upcoming trip to the mitten -- I dragged B. to the local Sports Authority.

After weeding through a maze of sports bras, Cubs T-shirts and rollerblades, I landed in the running shoe aisle. Immediately, a salesman globbed onto me and began firing off questions: How many miles a week do you run? How often do you buy new shoes? Can you bend your knees, please?

"You see that, her ankle bending, in?" he asked a very confused-looking B. "She's pronating."

The salesman directed me towards the Asics on the wall and pointed at four possibilities. I picked Asics Cumulus 10 for one reason: On sale for $69.99, they were cheapest.

It gets better, my friends. Sports Authority offers a Footwear Plan, which covers "defects in materials and workmanship, including those experienced during normal wear and tear." This includes everything from major tears in the mesh to just a few measly dirt sports. The cost of the plan is based on the price of the shoe, and I paid only $9.99. Amazing! A few months and a few hundred miles from now, I'll cash in my warranty for a brand spanking new pair. In the meantime, I'll be enjoying the rest of Memorial Day by fixing B. Parmesean and Sage-Crusted Pork Chops for dinner and indulging in junk TV. (Extreme Pig Outs is currently on the tube.) A casual run is, as always, a possibility.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post.!! I too just got a new pair of Asics running shoes from Sports Authority at very good price.

    ReplyDelete